A synthetic surface made to imitate grass, these turfs are convenient for garden owners. They provide a cleaner environment than grass and mud and can make a lawn look perfect — and is not appropriate for eco landscaping.
– The grass will not need to be maintained too much, it is time-saving as it will not need to be cut etc. (ref)
– Aesthetically, the grass can give an effect real grass may not be able to. (ref)
– Parts of the grass can be made from recycled tyres. (ref)
– The artificial grass can last for 15-20 years. (ref)
– No fertilisers or pesticides will be needed for the artificial grass. (ref)
– Some degradable artificial grasses can be purchased. (ref)
– Not a lot of carbon will be needed to maintain it, unlike grass, which will need strimming etc. (ref)
– No water will be needed to support the grass. (ref)
– Natural habitats are reduced due to artificial grass usage. (ref)
– Plastics are used in the creation, and parts of the grasses will never biodegrade. (ref)
– Fossil fuels are used to create artificial grasses, and living plants are removed which helps mitigate the carbon in the atmosphere. (ref)
– Topsoil is destroyed when artificial grass is installed. (ref)
– The artificial grass will need to be cleaned now and then, raked and swept. (ref)
– It can be expensive to install. (ref)
– The artificial grass will absorb heat, meaning it will be hotter to the touch than real grass. (ref)
– There can be potential chemical leeching from artificial grasses. (ref)
– Sand can be used to place the turf. See sand.
Artificial Grass Summary
These grasses give the effect of a natural lawn that can last a fairly long time. However, they have large environmental consequences, being made from fossil fuels which are non-renewable. Being made from plastics, the grass can take hundreds of years to biodegrade, and some parts will never degrade. The garden environment is also affected, as topsoils are removed and destroyed and habitat is lost for many organisms. The question to consider: is the convenience of astroturf worth the environmental issues? If astroturf is going to be used, one that will degrade needs to be invented. Healthy lawn maintenance is a better solution.