Glorious Gardens does garden design in the Henfield area. Set in the district of Horsham in West Sussex, Henfield sits between London to the North and Brighton to the South. The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book, Henfield possesses a rich heritage of cultural and architectural treasures.
A horticultural and floricultural society was founded between 1862 and 1872 to encourage the cottage laborer. The Henfield and district chrysanthemum society held annual shows from 1884 and survived in 1958. A village produce association was started in 1948, and had 250 members in 1958; it survived in 1984. Glorious Gardens understands that many clients want to be very involved in the design process.
Along with the whole of Sussex, the rocks of the Henfield area are sedimentary. Descending the Downs and crossing the Weald, the rocks get progressively older. Henfield is in the midst of the predominant Low Weald geology, the Weald Clay, but the village itself sits on a spur of Lower Greensand silty sandstone and, at the southern end of the village, the looser sands of the Folkestone Group sandstone. These Lower Cretaceous strata sit over the Weald Clay and form a tongue extending from the chalk Downs below Wolstonbury Hill, 7km to the east-south-east. The Lower Greensand spur narrows and continues 4km to the west, as far as Ashurst.
The drift geology of the Henfield area shows that the scoured and embanked drainage channel that is the River Adur today is surrounded by reclaimed marshland. Alluvium (flanked by river terrace deposits) marks the location of the former marshy estuary of the Adur and, as with the Arun and Ouse rivers, this widened to a tidal compartment north of the Downs, in this case, 2km across. Again like the areas on the Arun and Ouse, this remains known as The Brooks. Henfield lies immediately northeast of this Brookland. Glorious Gardens have a depth of knowledge of the local geography so always selects plants that are suitable for the garden’s geology.
Chestfield Park was developed in the mid-18th-century. Percy Cane was employed in the 1960s to redesign the gardens. There was an avenue of limes but no cohesive plan for the garden. Cane designed a new forecourt which introduced a vista of the park. Percy Cane was employed in the 1960s to re-design the gardens when the estate was owned by Prince Littler, a theatre impresario. There was an avenue of limes but no cohesive plan for the garden. Cane designed a new forecourt which introduced a vista of the park. To the south, he opened the link between the house and the lawn. To the east he introduced a new turf walk and herbaceous borders, leading to beds of azaleas and lilies. A new rose garden was enclosed in yew hedges and a round lily pool with a fountain in a sunken garden, surrounded by lawn and then shrub planting. The pool was fed by a watercourse from a nearby spring. Glorious Gardens uses the surrounding parks as inspiration for their garden designs.